In a post on its Facebook page, the university identified the student as Deloi Cook of Talladega. She was working on her master's degree as a communications specialist.
WAAY 31 talked to a student who told us she was shocked when she learned about the death of her fellow student. She told us she knows the campus will come together to support one another.
"I know for a fact that we're all praying together and that we'll do anything possible to assist the family in the death and that we're always here to support," said Kennedy Carter a junior at Alabama A&M.
Carlisle said the family has been notified.
Counselors are available for students.
Alabama A&M Police Chief Nadis Carlisle says the person found dead late Monday is a 32-year-old female graduate student.
Carlisle said the Huntsville Police Department was called in to ensure the death was not a homicide, and they believe it was not.
The name of the student has not been released.
Carlisle said there were no signs of forced entry at the apartment in Normal Hills Student Apartments, 115 Chase Road. He also said there were no obvious signs of trauma to the body, and the apartment was not in disarray.
An autopsy was not ordered, but blood was pulled to do a toxicology screening, he said.
Huntsville Police and the Alabama A&M University Police Department are investigating the death of a student.
According to police, a student was found dead in a residence hall on Monday evening.
Law enforcement officials do not suspect foul play. The joint investigation is ongoing.
- Alabama A&M: Grad student found dead in student housing; murder not suspected
- Alabama A&M Signing Day Recap
- A&M students react to University's response to incident near campus
- Alabama A&M students file federal lawsuit claiming voting rights were violated
- Evidentiary hearing held for voter registration lawsuit from four Alabama A&M students, defendant says
- Alabama A&M football coach not returning
- Alabama A&M University celebrates new scoreboard
- Alabama A&M releases statement regarding NCAA announcement
- Alabama A&M hires new men's basketball coach
- Ariana Powe signs with Alabama A&M