UPDATE: The scene has been cleared, and people are able to return to their homes. Eight homes were evacuated earlier due to the gas leak.
Huntsville Fire and Rescue says a construction worker caused the leak along the 700 block of Harding Way. The department was joined by Huntsville Emergency Medical Services Inc. and Huntsville police.
Firefighters closed the leak and went to each house, checking the gas levels to make sure they were safe for people to go back inside. There were 25 people waiting outside as crews surveyed the area.
One man who lives next to the construction site says he heard the gas leak when it happened.
"So, it's hissing real loud, then you start smelling it, and so I'm approached by one of our brave firefighters who showed up pretty soon, and he told me to get out," Riley Gray said.
Harding Way was reopened.
Frank McKenzie with Huntsville Fire and Rescue says crews are evacuating some homes in South Huntsville due to a gas leak on Harding Way.
Right now, seven homes in the area are being evacuated. Huntsville police are shutting down Harding Way and Baylor Drive.
Huntsville Fire says a neighbor called the leak in around 5:15 p.m. Monday and told dispatchers a construction crew had hit a gas line. HAZMAT and fire crews are at the scene.
People are asked to avoid the area. McKenzie says no one was injured, and it was a small leak. He said crews are checking house air quality and then leaving the scene.