SEVERE WX : Winter Weather Advisory - Winter Storm Warning - Flood Advisory - Flood Warning View Alerts
CLOSINGS: View Closings

Officials investigating early morning house fire

Fire officials say no one was inside the house when the fire broke out and there were no injuries.

Posted: Jun 11, 2018 5:43 AM
Updated: Jun 12, 2018 7:01 AM

Huntsville fire officials are investigating after an early morning fire in the 200 block of 8th Street NW in Huntsville.

Officials confirmed that no one was inside the home at the time of the fire.

Huntsville fire officials told WAAY 31 that they were able to put the fire out within 10 minutes.

Right now, an investigation is underway to determine the cause of the fire.

Homeowner Margaret Jennings told WAAY 31 it was nearly 5:00 a.m. when she saw flashing lights outside her home.

"I didn't know if they was chasing somebody or what, I didn't know what it was for," Jennings said.

It didn't take long for someone to tell her the flashing lights weren't a police chase but a house fire.

Jennings' friend was watching TV when he heard there was a house fire on 8th Street NW.

"I went out on the back porch to see where on 8th Street there was a fire and it was my house," Jennings said.

Jennings' owns the house that caught fire, but she lives two doors down.

She's told WAAY 31 she's rented out this property for years, and when the fire broke out she had one tenant who'd been living there for a little over a year.

She said there wasn't a stove in the house and the gas was turned off, so she's ruling those two things out as possible causes. However, she still has a lot of questions.

"I could sit and bawl and cry, but it ain't gonna help it," Jennings said.

Hours after the fire was put out there was debris in the yard and a fire line taped around the perimeter.

"What I'm looking for is any evidence of burn patterns, things like that, to help me distinguish what happened," Greg Spruell, Huntsville Fire and Rescue assistant fire marshal, said.

Before he can determine what happened, Spruell has to dig.

"We have a lot of roof structure, attic, that has fallen down into the scene, so basically what I'm doing right now is removing all of that to see what I have as far as a fire scene," Spruell said.

"I'm worried about not knowing what caused it and everything like that. I'm anxious to find out what caused it," Jennings said.

WAAY 31 is staying in touch with fire officials and will let you know the cause of the fire as soon as there's a ruling.

As of now, fire officials say it's unlikely they'll rule on the exact cause today.

34° wxIcon
Hi: 37° Lo: 33°
Feels Like: 26°
35° wxIcon
Hi: 37° Lo: 33°
Feels Like: 24°
33° wxIcon
Hi: 38° Lo: 33°
Feels Like: 25°
34° wxIcon
Hi: 40° Lo: 34°
Feels Like: 24°
35° wxIcon
Hi: 38° Lo: 35°
Feels Like: 30°
WAAY Radar
WAAY Temperatures


Most Popular Stories

Community Events