The Huntsville Police Department says it is working with federal authorities, including the Drug Enforcement Administration and FBI, on part of a federal law enforcement operation.
Police said the operation is being conducted throughout North Alabama Wednesday morning.
A WAAY 31 reporter was at the Morgan County Jail on Wednesday, where she saw multiple police vans and unmarked cars dropping people off at the facility.
Suspects are taken to the Morgan County Jail, which is the only jail in the region that houses federal inmates. The spokesperson for the jail said all hands are on deck due to the amount of people being processed in their facility. They added extra staffers that will be working on processing the federal inmates, transporting them to a federal judge and then transporting them to a facility.
So far, there have been around 40 known arrests made.
An FBI spokesman, Paul Daymond, said the operation possibly could go into Southern Tennessee.
In a post on the Lawrence County Sheriff's Office Facebook page, Sheriff Max Sanders said his office participated in the operation. He said five people in Lawrence County were arrested and are in custody. Sanders also said additional law enforcement activity is expected throughout the weekend.
WAAY 31 spoke with people in the area on Wednesday who said this crackdown will make their neighborhoods feel safer.
"I think it's necessary to get all the hard core drugs off. There was just a drug bust this morning by my house, and I have a 6-year-old, so and of course, I don't want him anywhere around that," Ashley Still, a Decatur resident, said.
We do not know if the drug arrests Still is referring to were a part of this operation.
Law enforcement in Morgan County is also said to be involved.
"I wish they could get all that stuff off the streets...just keep doing what they're doing and get that stuff off the street," Still said.
The U.S. Attorney's office is expected to give an update on the ongoing operation sometime early next week.
- Local, federal officials conducting law enforcement operation across North Alabama
- Dozens of arrests made in North Alabama with federal drug agents, local law enforcement
- Morgan County, Decatur law enforcement conduct school drug sweep
- Alabama Law Enforcement Agency hit with lawsuit
- Former Alabama law enforcement chief arrested
- Federal judge blocks Alabama's tough abortion law
- Madison County Sheriff's Office conducts early morning drug operation
- Positions available at State of Alabama law enforcement agency
- Georgia law enforcement helicopter crashes in Alabama river
- Winter Storm Warning: Driving tips from Alabama Law Enforcement Agency