A jury has returned verdicts in Limestone County Sheriff Mike Blakely’s criminal trial:
- Count 1 Theft of Property: Not Guilty
- Count 2 Theft of Property: Guilty
- Count 3 Theft of Property: Not Guilty
- Count 4 Theft of Property: Not Guilty
- Count 8 Use of Official Position for Personal Gain ($1,000 wire transfer): Not Guilty
- Count 9 Theft of Property (Check from 2016): Not Guilty
- Count 10 Use of Official Position for Personal Gain: Not Guilty
- Count 11 Soliciting thing of value from subordinate: Not Guilty
- Count 12 Use of Official Position for Personal Gain: Not Guilty
- Count 13 Use of Official Position for Personal Gain (Inmate jail fund): Guilty
- Blakely has been taken into custody and his $49,000 bond revoked.
Count 2 deals with a $4,000 check from Red Brick Strategies.
Count 13 charges Blakely with using his official position or office to obtain interest-free loans by taking money from a safe that was used to store the Limestone County inmates’ personal funds.
A sentencing date has not yet been scheduled.
Limestone County Coroner Mike West is now acting sheriff as Blakely's conviction immediately removes him from office.
He will serve in the position until Gov. Kay Ivey appoints a new sheriff.
Ivey’s office tells WAAY 31 that the governor does not yet have a formal timeline to replace Blakely and relieve West, but will start accepting resumes and begin the interview process in the coming weeks.
A Probate Court judge will appoint someone to the coroner position until West can resume his duties.
Stay with WAAY 31 for updates
— Nicole Zedeck WAAY 31 (@NicoleWAAY31) August 2, 2021