Photo Gallery 2 Images
2:07 p.m. UPDATE: Officials say weather is no longer a factor and they will be searching for Derek Lane until dark. If they don't find him they will be back out Thursday morning.
1:32 p.m. UPDATE: The person being searched for has been identified as Derek Lane, 56, according to Sgt. Chad Pate, Northern District Assistant Commander of the ALEA/DPS-Marine Patrol Division,
10:15 a.m. UPDATE: The Limestone County Sheriff's Office says the search in Wheeler Lake has been shifted from a rescue operation to a recovery effort.
9:47 a.m. UPDATE: According to Sgt. Chad Pate, Northern District Assistant Commander of the ALEA/DPS-Marine Patrol Division, the search for the missing boater on Wheeler Lake has resumed Wednesday morning. Members from Limestone/Athens Search & Rescue, Limestone Co. Sheriff's Office and ALEA Marine Patrol Division are among those assisting with the search. The search is concentrated near the Limestone County side of Wheeler Lake in the area of the 291 river mile marker.
9:17 a.m. UPDATE: Limestone County Sheriff’s Office says it is being told that the two men, both in their 50s, went out on the boat Tuesday evening. Officials said one of the men jumped off the boat and said he would meet the other man at the dock, but he never made it.
The Morgan County Rescue Squad is coming over with divers now to assist in the effort.
6:12 a.m. UPDATE: The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency's Marine Patrol Troopers are investigating a a boating incident on Wheeler Lake near Athens.
The agency said one person is missing after a boating incident involving two people.
Investigators are sending out divers and using sonar equipment to continue looking. The search will resume at 7a.m.
According to the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency, search and rescue teams suspended the search overnight but are expected to start searching for the missing person this morning.
Rogersville Police told WAAY 31 they are looking for a man. Authorities say they had divers in the water and were using sonar to try and locate the man.
Athens/Limestone Search & Rescue, Rogersville Police Department and Limestone County Sheriff's Office are assisting with the search.
No further information is available at this time.
Stay with WAAY 31 on-air and online for updates.
- Update: Search for man missing in Wheeler Lake now recovery mission
- Body of missing boater recovered in Wheeler Lake
- Search teams find body of missing man in Wilson Lake
- Search for missing Limestone County kayaker now recovery effort
- 'That's why I was sent there:’ Man who found body of missing Wheeler Lake boater hopes family has closure
- Search for missing man continues
- Search for missing Smith Lake boater suspended after 2 weeks
- Search for boater missing on Smith Lake to resume Monday
- Overturned 18 wheeler causing traffic delays
- 18 Wheeler wreck on US Highway 231