A man is facing an arson charge for an explosion that happened late Monday night at a Decatur hotel.
William Charles Davis, 39, of Falkville, is facing a charge of third-degree arson after a butane canister exploded in his room at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel on 6th Avenue NE.
Davis was tampering with the canister when it exploded, severely damaging his room, according to Decatur police. They said they believed drug use may have been the reason Davis had the canister.
The explosion happened on the second floor of the hotel, forcing a short evacuation for hotel guests and staff.
Davis was taken to UAB Hospital in Birmingham to be treated for burns. Once he's released, police said he would be arrested.