Photo Gallery 3 Images
Deputies have arrested a kidnapping suspect after a DeKalb County family woke up to the victim knocking on their backdoor claiming that he just escaped.
The suspect, 51-year-old Mark Byers, was booked at the Jackson County Sheriff's Office. The victim's name has not been released at this time, but he is headed home to Jackson County.
According to deputies, the victim says he escaped from two men and got help when he knocked on a stranger's back door. It all happened on Moses Drive in Henagar near where DeKalb and Jackson counties meet. The victim says he was taken from his home in Rosalie in Jackson County Thursday night.
Mark Byers of Henagar is charged with kidnapping, burglary and assault second-degree. He's being held on a $100,000 bond. After Byers faces the charges against him in Jackson County, the DeKalb County Sheriff's Office plans on charging him with three counts of possession of a controlled substance, possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia.
The neighbor who helped didn't want to talk on camera, but he said the victim knocked on his back door a little before 8 a.m. Friday morning. He said the man was disoriented, shirtless, had duct tape on his neck and had a rope he said he was tied up with.
The victim had a head injury and a nose injury. The neighbor said the victim didn't want to go to the hospital, and when paramedics arrived, he refused treatment.
Deputies and police are still searching for one other suspect, who is from the Fort Payne area.
- Injured shirtless man with duct tape, rope says he escaped DeKalb County kidnapping; 1 arrested
- DeKalb County authorities looking for escaped inmate
- DeKalb County kidnapping suspect arrested in Georgia, extradited to North Alabama
- 32 arrested in DeKalb County drug crackdown
- 9 arrested in DeKalb County sweep
- Man dies in DeKalb County wreck
- Man Indicted for DeKalb County Murder
- Juvenile accidentally shoots man in Dekalb County
- DeKalb County sheriff arrests man wanted in multiple counties for thefts
- DeKalb Co. sheriff: Man arrested for stealing firearms