SEVERE WX : Flash Flood Watch - Flood Warning View Alerts

Hazel Green family safe after morning house fire

A family member said the fire started in a child’s bedroom.

Posted: Mar 13, 2019 7:37 AM
Updated: Mar 13, 2019 11:14 AM

Five members of a Hazel Green family are safe after escaping a Wednesday morning house fire. 

The three adults and two children woke up to the smell of smoke at the home on Tillman Road. Fire officials said it all began with a candle burning just feet from where two kids were sleeping.

WAAY 31 caught up with neighbors who were relieved to learn everyone made it out of the fire safely.

"I could smell kind of a burning smell but I couldn't figure out which house it was. By the time I woke up the fire was already down enough that I couldn't see it," said Erica Green.

Erica Green lives in the neighborhood where that fire broke out early this morning. She said she looked out the window and saw the street lined with fire trucks and ambulances. The homeowner didn't want to go on camera but he told us he woke up to the smell of smoke coming from his kids' bedroom. He said they have smoke detectors but they didn’t go off. He tried to put the fire out himself but wasn't able to. Instead, he got his wife, his mother, and two kids out of the home safely.

Green said when she saw all of the fire trucks outside she was worried someone had been hurt. When we told her the whole family made it out safely she breathed a sigh of relief.

"Thank God everybody made it out. Everybody needs to make it out alive. Life is important. It doesn't matter whose life it is."

The Hazel Green Volunteer Fire Department chief said he lives a few doors down and was able to get to the home quickly. He said they were able to contain the fire to one part of the home and put it out within 10 minutes of arriving on the scene.

Green said she hopes her neighbors are able to quickly get back on their feet.

"God has watched over them and I hope that they get everything that they need."

The chief of the Hazel Green Volunteer Fire Department told us the home appears to be a total loss because it has smoke and water damage. The Red Cross provided assistance.

Hazel Green and Meridianville fire departments responded to the scene.

72° wxIcon
Hi: 78° Lo: 70°
Feels Like: 72°
74° wxIcon
Hi: 83° Lo: 70°
Feels Like: 74°
70° wxIcon
Hi: 77° Lo: 69°
Feels Like: 70°
71° wxIcon
Hi: 82° Lo: 70°
Feels Like: 71°
Mostly Cloudy
73° wxIcon
Hi: 77° Lo: 71°
Feels Like: 73°
WAAY Radar
WAAY Temperatures


Community Events