STREAMING NOW: Watch Now

Athens awarded funds to apply for grant to add officers to department

Monday night, Athens city council approved the funds the city needs to apply for the 'COPS Grant'.

Posted: Feb 11, 2020 6:38 PM

This fall, the Athens Police Department could have seven more officers.

The city signed off on funds requesting for a federal grant to pay for more officers. The next step is applying for the grant as soon as possible.

"I think it'll be definitely a great move," Robert Gilbert, who lives in Athens, said.

Gilbert said he’s lived in Athens his whole life. He said the city needs more police officers sooner rather than later.

"The city growing, we definitely going to need more officers to patrol the high crime areas in Athens," Gilbert said.

Monday night, Athens City Council approved the funds the city needs to apply for the 'COPS Grant.' The Department of Justice pays 75 percent of the costs to add more police officers to cities for three years. The city pays the remaining 25 percent.

The city says it needs seven officers to keep up with population growth. There are currently 48 police officers in Athens. If the DOJ approves the grant, The department would grow to 55 officers. The city and people who live there say the grant should be approved because public safety is a top priority.

"We need more new officers, more people, we need them," Glenn Johnson, who lives in Athens, said.

Johnson said he's lived in Athens for 50 years and thinks this city deserves the grant.

"The people deserve it, we need more policeman to take care of the kids take care of the people," he said.

Gilbert agress.

"That'll be a good move to get more officers when the city grows yes," Gilbert said

The application deadline is in March. The city hopes to hear back from the department by late summer or early fall. After the three years, the city is responsible for all costs.

Huntsville
Few Clouds
21° wxIcon
Hi: 51° Lo: 27°
Feels Like: 21°
Florence
Clear
24° wxIcon
Hi: 53° Lo: 31°
Feels Like: 24°
Fayetteville
Clear
21° wxIcon
Hi: 51° Lo: 26°
Feels Like: 21°
Decatur
Scattered Clouds
22° wxIcon
Hi: 51° Lo: 27°
Feels Like: 22°
Scottsboro
Clear
21° wxIcon
Hi: 53° Lo: 27°
Feels Like: 21°
WAAY Radar
WAAY WAAY-TV Cam
WAAY Temperatures

Alabama Coronavirus Cases

Cases: 252900

Reported Deaths: 3638
CountyCasesDeaths
Jefferson33526501
Mobile20103365
Madison13723151
Tuscaloosa13366154
Montgomery12552236
Shelby1079677
Baldwin9051137
Lee787266
Morgan696451
Calhoun6598121
Etowah656167
Marshall647357
Houston541038
DeKalb498137
Cullman462443
St. Clair441956
Limestone440445
Lauderdale426754
Elmore421164
Walker3735111
Talladega370157
Jackson340423
Colbert332042
Blount306140
Autauga281842
Franklin257434
Coffee250015
Dale239054
Dallas231532
Chilton228939
Russell22663
Covington225034
Escambia202331
Tallapoosa187291
Chambers182750
Pike161514
Clarke161019
Marion144736
Winston137523
Lawrence133436
Pickens126518
Geneva12508
Marengo123424
Bibb120418
Barbour118911
Butler118642
Randolph105522
Cherokee105124
Hale98131
Fayette94616
Washington93219
Clay92824
Henry8896
Monroe83011
Lowndes80929
Cleburne78814
Macon75522
Crenshaw72230
Bullock70119
Lamar7018
Conecuh70014
Perry6916
Wilcox64818
Sumter58622
Greene43518
Choctaw43114
Coosa3664
Out of AL00
Unassigned00

Tennessee Coronavirus Cases

Cases: 380186

Reported Deaths: 4638
CountyCasesDeaths
Shelby49077671
Davidson43915423
Knox19739155
Rutherford18613164
Hamilton17549154
Williamson1183781
Sumner10255137
Out of TN832854
Wilson788382
Montgomery700185
Sullivan6787102
Washington6360109
Maury626169
Putnam607483
Blount586362
Bradley558337
Madison5519111
Sevier521933
Unassigned513922
Robertson395453
Tipton379439
Hamblen367961
Gibson334068
Greene330473
Dyer328352
Anderson316730
Dickson302535
Coffee299042
Bedford292232
Carter290558
Lawrence284134
Obion274850
McMinn273855
Cumberland269937
Roane251929
Warren248420
Jefferson241233
Loudon239520
Fayette232939
Monroe229544
Hardeman228838
Weakley223136
Franklin221036
Lauderdale210124
Hawkins207135
Wayne196210
Henderson191834
Trousdale191812
Macon187429
White186219
Rhea184334
Marshall182722
Hardin182125
Carroll181235
Lincoln171118
Cheatham168517
Cocke168330
Haywood166530
Campbell163123
Henry160818
Overton156635
Giles153349
Smith148820
Johnson144723
McNairy143133
Fentress125320
DeKalb123522
Hickman122619
Bledsoe11945
Lake11826
Crockett117727
Marion115319
Scott11447
Grainger108217
Chester104421
Decatur96413
Claiborne9339
Unicoi91826
Benton86414
Grundy80014
Cannon7954
Lewis78714
Morgan7806
Union7535
Humphreys7508
Jackson71210
Polk70415
Stewart61915
Houston59920
Clay56218
Sequatchie5555
Meigs51613
Perry49821
Moore4082
Pickett40014
Van Buren3832
Hancock1854

Community Events